Standard patent (R) application based on an international application under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)

If you file an international application for your invention designating one of the three designated patent offices, you can also seek standard patent protection via the re-registration route in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (the Hong Kong SAR). You can file the international application either with the relevant designated patent office or the International Bureau of the World Intellectual Property Organisation. After the international application has entered its national phase in the designated patent office, you can file an application for a standard patent (R) in the Hong Kong SAR. The procedures and documents required are explained below.

Application process for standard patent (R) - Stage 1 and Stage 2

Expand All Collapse All

Stage 1: Request to record

If you cannot proceed to the second stage (request for registration and grant), you may wish to maintain your application before the expiry of the fifth or any succeeding year from the anniversary of the date of filing the corresponding designated patent application first occurring after the date of publishing the request to record. For details, please refer to "Maintenance and Renewal".

Expand All Collapse All

Stage 2: Request for registration and grant

Apply Now